Re: help with packaging (preinst scripts)

Le 22/08/2012 15:42, Roger Leigh a écrit :
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 02:54:44PM +0200, David Cho-Lerat wrote:
3. add/edit some MySQL tables without knowing the MySQL root password

I've fooled around with Expect for 1. and 2., and tried
mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables for 3., but I feel
lame (and I have to have my preinst script stop/start the
MySQL server during install) ..
You don't do this.

The database server might be on a different machine.
we have a very specific setup where all of the following will be on
the same machine : the application, the MySQL server, the Apache
server. The MySQL server could only be used for this app, or could
be used for other things as well.
   So a requirement
for a local database, or any attempt to alter a local instance of
MySQL, is doomed to failure.  Please don't do this.

well, how does Bugzilla does it, for instance ? I probably ought to
have a look, but I think it "alters a local instance of MySQL", doesn't it ?
Roger
Thanks,
David.