Re: compressor

On Wed, 2012-08-22 at 15:54 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-22 at 21:40 +0800, lina wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Basically which compressor is the most efficient one.
> >
> > I got 2T data, basically won't get a chance to use in future, but still
> > need to keep there at least for the next two years just in case.
> >
> > so I tried the xz, but xz not support the directory? or maybe I don't
> > know how to compress the directory.
> >
> > now tried the .bz2, but still very large.
> >
> > Thanks ahead for any suggestions,
> >
> > Best regards,
>
> AFAIK 7z does best compression, but IIRC without keeping Linux
> permissions.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
>
> PS: "Compressor" is an audio engineering term too :D. So the other
> answer is "Jamin", not helpful regarding to the context.

PS: Regarding to bz, test if more compression really does safe space, or
if it just needs much more time, but needs nearly the same space.
Regarding to this, I experienced another "less is more" issue. Regarding
to the kind of data you'll archive it might differ for your needs. You
need to test all possibilities, AFAIK here are no rules of thumb.