Re: help with packaging (preinst scripts)

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 02:20:35PM +0100, David Cho-Lerat wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your answers.
>
> I know this looks ugly, but don't worry it's not really meant for Debian,
> I'm working on our of our company's packages ;)
>
> > that doesn't
> > sound like a great idea. What are you doing?
> >

> well actually the package will install some software that has to be run by
> a specific user, and this user has to have a password so that some
> admins can log into the account for specific tasks, but not every user
> of the system.

In that case: set a random password for the user, but set up
~/.ssh/authorized_keys with the public SSH keys for your sysadmin
staff... If they're worth their salt, they WILL be using key-based
logins - no decent admin WANTS to remember hundreds of passwords, or
run a site with well-known-passwords everwhere.

> >> 3. add/edit some MySQL tables without knowing the MySQL root password
> >>
> > Urgh. This sounds uglier and uglier :)  Provide some SQL  to achieve what you
> > want in a file in the package, as a very first step. Make sure you've depended
> > on MySQL.  Will you know what the correct Database name will be? Can you guarantee
> > it will exist?
> >

> here's the thing : I'm setting up software that will require a certain
> database
> with certain tables to be present (specific to this app, so yes I know
> which ones).
> If MySQL is not installed, it will be installed as a dependency. If the
> database & tables
> are not present (first install), I create them (using a SQL file, like
> you said), but if
> MySQL is already running I don't want to have to stop it, do my changes and
> restart it, I'd like to connect to the MySQL server as root and do the
> changes live,
> even if the root MySQL server has a password set.

This sounds like some of your changes require a MySQL restart!?

--
Karl E. Jorgensen