Re: man in the middle attack ?

Dr Beco wrote:

> Today I registered a lot of students in the class, and 4 hours later I
> was in home and got a message one of them could not log in.
>
> So I tried and got this message:
>

> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> @    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
> Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
> It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
> The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
> 66:09:66:e3:e1:54:dc:65:e4:a4:74:99:c4:df:3e:ff.
> Please contact your system administrator.
> Add correct host key in /home/beco/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
> Offending key in /home/beco/.ssh/known_hosts:1
> RSA host key for beco.poli.br has changed and you have requested
> strict checking.
> Host key verification failed.
>

> What should I do, or where should I look, to understand this problem?
>
> Can I log in with my account remotely to see the problem, or should I
> better log in locally?

As has been suggested, if you are not the system administrator of the
system, contact whoever is (it seems to that you are not).

It's usually that just that particular IP address for that machine on
the LAN has been used with a different key before but it could be
something malicious. Best to get hold of your admin ASAP.

I'd like to apologise for the abuse you have suffered at the hands of
certain members of this list. Uncalled for, rude & unhelpful.

Ubuntu is a very similar distro to Debian & you may find it worth your
while to unsubscribe here & subscribe to Ubuntu's list. They are much
more friendly, courteous & helpful.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 6.3, Debian Squeeze, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow Leopard, Ubuntu Precise