WICD

HI,
I'm running wicd on debian stable and unfortunately wicd can't maintain the connection. Absolutely nothing about the rest of the wireless network has changed. It keeps oscillating through
putting interface up
obtaining IP addresss
Done connecting
not connected.

When you can get a ping going, gaps of four to six packets fail for ever one that gets through.

As part of writing this, I thought about taking out the other network cable (currently attached to a raspberry PI, I'm trying to bridge to) and that solved the problem, However, how to I make wicd keep the wireless connection up with the other cable inserted, would giving it a static IP help?

Any ideas how I can get this wicd bridge to work?
Thanks
James