Re: how to copy files from linux to windows via terminal

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:04:27 +0800
lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how to copy files from linux to windows via terminal.
>
> I know putty, prehaps I should install it?
>
> Better some already-installed program.
>
> Thanks with best regards,

For a clean, easy job with a few files, yes, I'd go with puTTY. PuTTY is
fine for low volumes, or you can probably find WinSCP which also uses
ssh. PuTTY will not use OpenSSH keys (or it wouldn't last time I tried)
but it will generate keys which OpenSSH can use. Some Windows FTP
clients will also do SCP if pushed.

If you have full control of non-domain Windows workstations, and many
files to move, then samba is probably a good bet. I've had trouble with
Windows domains, which tend to insist on higher security levels than a
typical Linux samba server. I think samba tends to run about two
server generations behind Microsoft.

Finally, the RDP protocol does permit mapping local hard drive
partitions into the client session, though I've never tried from a
Linux client, I don't know if any can do it. That would presumably also
use samba, but in a different manner than a straight network
connection. That may be disabled by group policy in a domain
environment, as it does constitute a significant security risk.

--
Joe