Re: The "Oh, No..." error when gdm is trying to start

Paul Johnson, 15.08.2012:

> In the olden days, I'd just remove gdm and then run "startx" from the
> command line to start X11. But now, as far as I can tell, the Gnome
> system pre-supposes a session-managed display manager.

I run gnome with startx.  You need the gnome-session package installed
but you can remove gdm3, gnome and gnome-core.

NB: This is on sid.  Make sure you check what else it says it might
remove if you remove those packages.