Re: Versioned vs. unversioned dependecies

Hello Klaus,

Klaus Ethgen <Klaus@Ethgen.ch> wrote:
> firs, please do cc to me as I have not subscribed this list.

Done :)

> But now it is not possible to deinstall libasound2 (well, it is and
> everything except the package management work well without libasound2)
> so it is not possible to use this package. The reason seams to be that
> every package has a versioned dependency for libasound2 which seems not
> to be working with provides.

Yes. From Debian Policy 7.5
<http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-virtual>:
| If a relationship field has a version number attached, only real
| packages will be considered to see whether the relationship is
| satisfied (or the prohibition violated, for a conflict or
| breakage). In other words, if a version number is specified, this is a
| request to ignore all Provides for that package name and consider only
| real packages. The package manager will assume that a package
| providing that virtual package is not of the "right" version. A
| Provides field may not contain version numbers, and the version number
| of the concrete package which provides a particular virtual package
| will not be considered when considering a dependency on or conflict
| with the virtual package name.

> Is there any way to have liboss4-salsa-asound2 installed on debian? And
> is there any way to overwrite the versioned dependencies?

If it wasn't for the Conflicts: statement in liboss4-salsa-asound2,
you could create a ‘real’ package libasound2 with a sufficiently high
version number using equivs. Then, you could adapt the control
statements of liboss4-salsa-asound2 to remove the Conflicts:
statement (doable, especially if you run stable and seldomly face
upgrades).

You could also try asking all the maintainers of the packages
depending on libasound2 to please use something like

| Depends: libasound2 (>= a.b) | liboss4-salsa-asound2 (>= c.d)

However, I doubt that this is a viable approach, since OSS is rather
deprecated on Linux (maybe the kFreeBSD folks would like such a
scheme, though) and there are _many_ packages which just depend on
libasound2. But, on the other hand, you could argue that some
packages already do this, for example, java-package, gimp or libao4
(check with apt-cache rdepends libasound2).

Best regards,

Claudius
- --
              A board is the planck unit of boredom.