Backup

I have a 1 TB external USB drive with 362 GB used. I'd like to do a full backup to DVDs and then an incremental (or something) backup every month or two, also to DVDs or CDs. I'd like the backups to be compressed in order to save space (i.e. - the number of DVDs/CDs used). What is a good program to do this with? Or, what is a good step of different programs to do this with? I'm a home user with decent knowledge of Debian/Linux, but not a shell programmer.