Re: VirtualBox WinXP host, Linux Partition guest?

Hi

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:15:39AM +0100, ernest wrote:
> Hi
>
> This may not be the correct place for me to post this question but i
> couldn't find anywhere that i can. Please direct me to the correct forum
> if it is the wrong place.

Not sure this is the correct place, but it _is_ debian related, so I'll bite...

> I have two partitions created on my Laptop, one for Win XP and the other
> for Debian Squeeze.
>
> I read about this article and tried the suggestions. Booted from Win XP
> (as Host)and created a .VMDK file to boot Debian VM guest from the
> "REAL" Debian partition. It works and able to logon into the linux system.

Ouwh... Running Debian inside a virtual machine on an XP box??  Sounds
like a bad idea, for both performance and stability. You'll probably
find that the preference around here is the other way around (if you
really insist on running XP at all!). But then again, this is a debian
mailing list...

> However, I encountered problem with networking. I'm unable to ping
> anyone else except local host.  When check on IFCONFIG, there is no eth0
> configured.

I assume that you have networking set up in virtualbox.

Is there _any_ eth* device?  Perhaps you have an eth1?  Debian will
remember the MAC address of the network cards in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules (so that eth0/eth1/eth* dont
swap around depending on the order the kernel detects them).  Since
you probably have a different MAC address inside virtualbox, the "new"
one will be eth1 (or eth2 if you already had an eth1 etc).  If you
remove /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, it will be
re-created on the next boot.

> To confirm if my ethernet card is ok, i booted up Linux from Linux
> partition.   It came up perfectly ok and I can ping my gateway and i can
> see eth0 in IFCONIG.

I assume that the network card works OK in Win XP ? if not, then all
bets are off: If the underlying machine does not have networking, the
virtual machines will be "isolated" too...

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jorgensen