Re: Daemons in schroot or how to start chroot automatically

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 05:58:03PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Roger Leigh wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > I haven't submitted a bug yet but I always have problems with sysvinit
> > > postinst depending upon ischroot and ischroot getting it wrong and
> > > that leaving a broken /run - /var/run behind.  You might hit that too.
> >
> > If this is still happening, please file a serious bug against
> > ischroot (debianutils IIRC) with the details of your system.
> > It should not be getting it wrong in the simple case of a
> > chroot.
>
> While looking to file this bug I found that one had already been
> filed on 26 Mar 2012.
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=665827
>
> There has been no response to this bug.  With your advice I will add
> more information to it and increase the severity to serious.

Note that this is a bug against initscripts, not debianutils.

Is the problem due to ischroot not working in your chroot?
Or is it due to initscripts not using the return value properly?

If it's a deficiency in the ischroot tool, then please file a
bug against debianutils about it.  If it's the latter, then
a followup to the above bug is appropriate.

In the above bug's case, ischroot returns zero if it's a chroot,
1 if it's not a chroot, and 2 if it wasn't possible to tell.  We
only run the chroot codepath if we get a zero value back,
otherwise we run the standard codepath for a base system.  I'm
not sure that there's a more reasonable solution here--we don't
have the information to make a better choice if it's 2.  So it
would be useful to know exactly what the return value of
ischroot is (it must be run as root), and why.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh