Re: Managing to get the 4 RAM GiB recognized easily

On 15/08/12 09:14 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:

Gary Dale<garydale@rogers.com>  writes:

On 15/08/12 04:08 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:

Hi,

As stated in the title, I've got 4 GiB of RAM on this computer. The
problem is that I'm using kernel 2.6.32-5-686 which does not support 4
GiB of RAM. Precedently, I had used a bigmem kernel.

Here, I simply want to get my 4 GiB of RAM fully recognized in an easy
fashion. Is it possible?

Thanks.
I'd guess you are running Debian/Stable (Squeeze). Simply install the
bigmem kernel image (linux-image-686-bigmem).

Alternatively, you could upgrade to Wheezy which has the PAE already
built in. It looks like Wheezy is getting ready for release and it is
quite stable.

If your computer has a 64bit CPU, you could also install the 64bit
version of Debian over the existing. Just don't format your /home.
Well, it's 32bit stuff here. However, assuming I install the bigmem
kernel image, as I did precedently, do I risk anything, that is, is it
as simple as an apt-get install, then choosing this new kernel in the
GRUB? Thanks.
- --
Yes.