Re: apt-get fails due to "system" message bus problem

On 14/08/12 14:25, Malte Forkel wrote:
Hello!

I have written a little script to download a package from a repository
specified on the command line. E.g. the following will download the
package debian-archive-keyring_2010.08.28_all.deb on an Ubuntu system:

$ apt-getfrom -s "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main" \
download debian-archive-keyring

apt-getfrom works by setting up a "sandbox" environment in a temporary
configuration file, based on a suggestion by Bob Proulx (see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/04/msg00953.html)

When I use apt-getfrom while building a package (i.e. from within
debian/rules), I run into an error. I guess it has to do with fakeroot,
because I can reproduce the problem like this:

$ fakeroot apt-getfrom -s "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stable \
main" download debian-archive-keyring
Failed to open connection to "system" message bus: Did not receive a
reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a
reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply
timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Could someone please explain what causes this error and/or how to avoid it?

I suspect that fakeroot is interpreting the -s option.

Can you try:

$ fakeroot -- apt-getfrom -s "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stable \ main" download debian-archive-keyring

The "--" should make fakeroot pass the -s through to your apt-getfrom command.

--
Dom