Testing ALSA and writing an appropriate .asoundrc

Hi all!

I have a little mess up with ALSA on one of my computers.

The computer has two sound cards: one of them, an integrated Intel
(lspci related output in [1]) and a audio device from Nvidia, for using
with an HDMI video and audio cable (see [1]).

Both cards are supported (the Nvidia one, through the proprietary Nvidia
driver, I suppose). I can put sound on both using a program that allows
selecting the audio output (I'm currently using Smplayer, a Mplayer
front-end).

My problems began when I tried to make the HDMI sound output (the nvidia
card) as the default for the whole system. I tried with Pulseaudio, but
configuring it from Gnome brokes my gnome session and I have uninstalled
whole Pulseaudio stuff.

I know that you can select the default sound output using a ~/.asoundrc
file, and I already tried, but I can't get it properly working.

How can I check with aplay/speaker-test ALSA tools the right syntax for
both cards? How can I make the HDMI one the default for my whole system?

Best regards and thanks in advance

[1] $lspci | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition
Audio Controller (rev 02)
02:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio
Controller (rev a1)

--
José Luis Segura Lucas