Re: Debian desktop news

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 09:33:04AM -0400, Guy Gold wrote:
> On Fri,Aug 10 02:26:PM, Darac Marjal wrote:
>
> > However, I don't know whether you can really say "Debian+GNONE3". Debian
> > is nothing without the packages. Gnome 3 is part of Debian.
>
> When was GNOME3 the default desktop for Debain ? (luckily , it
> was not in squeeze, which came with GNOME2 , I'm unning Squeeze
> with Gnome 2.3 , am I missing anything ?

GNOME 3 has never been the default desktop for Debian Stable. It
was, for a while, the default for Wheezy, but has been replaced
by XFCE because GNOME 3 will not fit on the first CD image.

You will still be able to install GNOME 3 by either downloading
more images or using the standard repositories.

GNOME 3 is quite different from the GNOME 2 series, and has made
some people correspondingly upset. XFCE is fairly similar to
GNOME 2, and may suit those people better. In particular, GNOME
3 really wants 3D accelerated video. XFCE doesn't care much
about that.

-dsr-

--
http://randomstring.org/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.
You can't fight for freedom by taking away rights.