Re: Squeeze: sometimes, bind times out (backgrounded) at boot time

Ok, I really mixed things up. I'm sorry (and I'm also very sorry for
the *huge* delay in answering to this thread).

I meant that **ypbind** fails to bind to ypserver.
And yes, the NIS domain servers are specified in yp.conf by their
fully qualified names, and those names are hardcoded in /etc/hosts
file. Also, /etc/nsswitch.conf has hosts line as below:

hosts:          files nis mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

So, the ypbind should get the correct IPs for the servers immediately.
But what I see, in practice is: most times, the machine(s) gose up
properly. Other times, I see a timeout notice at boot
("...backgrounded"), and the system comes up unable to mount the
remote users' "home" directories. When that happens, normally
rebooting several times doesn't solve enything. Restarting nis and
autofs, in this order *does* solve the issue.

Best regards,
Joao Roscoe

PS. This is the second time I send this message, In the first time, I
got an weird automatic
response, something about "Case 80324" (googled for that, it's
somehing about a bug in php4 package).
Hope that was not me doing something really wrong. Double-checked the
"To" address content, just in case.