USB ports not working after device disconnect

Hi folks,

Occasionally, when I disconnect a device (usually a mass storage device) from my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad x201), the USB ports stop recognising devices when I plug them in until I reboot. The ports are still powered and will charge e.g. a phone if I plug one in but nothing at all is registered by dmesg or logged in /var/log/messages.

Last time this happened lsusb showed a 'linux root hub' and an 'Intel rate matching hub' and nothing else. I've rebooted the machine and then had two of each of these (there was only 1 before) along with the inbuilt fingerprint reader and a device just described as "Lenovo", which suggests to me Debian is somehow losing one of the root hubs.

Before I rebooted it last time, I tried removing and reprobing the usb modules (i.e. usbcore and anything which depend on it) but this made no difference.

Anyone any idea why this might be happening, or what I can do to try and fix it?

Thanks
Laurence