Re: which one is faster?

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 12:14 AM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's a bit big data to transfer, around 1.1 T,
>
> from one server to another server.
>
> I checked that rsync is faster than scp,

Well, sometimes. Certainly if you have some of the data in both
places and need to sync it, rsync will just do the delta.

But if the destination does not have any of the data yet, *at best*
it will be similar.

And rsync, depending on version and settings, will do things
like make a full file list and/or checksums up front.  That can
be good, but it can also take along time on large data.

You should carefully check out what options you might want
or *not* want: --append, --inplace, --size-only, -c, -z, etc

And since rsync typically goes over ssh, the encryption adds
to the overhead as well.

Or just use scp or ftp or something in those cases.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers