Preserve files on .deb uninstall

I have a bit of an odd question.  I have several systems that have been depending on manually installed files, and I'd like to add those files to .debs that I maintain so that they'll be properly tracked.

However, to avoid breaking these systems by removing these files, I'd like for the files to be preserved even if the .debs are later downgraded or removed.

Is there a clean way of doing this?  So far, I've only been able to find two approaches:

* Mark the files as conffiles - Not what I'd want in this case, because the files aren't configuration files and should be automatically upgraded when packages are upgraded, I just don't want them automatically deleted when packages are removed.
* Some sort of hack in postrm that restores or rewrites the files - This seems like a hack, but I'll do it if I have to.

--
Josh Kelley