Re: Setting up to do repetitive installs on ONE machine (cf BabelBox)

Keith McKenzie wrote:
On 6 August 2012 14:46, Richard Owlett<rowlett@cloud85.net>  wrote:
I have two objectives:
    1. Define, by experimentation, optimal installation parameters to meet my
       idiosyncratic concept of a "minimal install".
    2. Determine if there are bugs in Debian Installer, the instructions for
       the installer, or MY reading of those instructions.

I've bought the 8 DVD set of Debian 6.0.5 and have set aside a laptop as a
testbed. I would divvy up the 80GB drive with 8-10GB for a quasi-static
Debian install [some other experiments, possible supervisor for these tests]
and ~40GB for DVD content [possibly some additional packages]. The rest
would be for the resulting test install and possibly preserving some log
files.

"Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide" (particularly sections 4&  5 and
appendix B) give some indication that what I want to do is feasible.
BabelBox {http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/BabelBox} indicates that
something quite _similar_ has been done.

Open questions about BabelBox and its suitability for my goals:

BabelBox is apparently aimed at a fully scripted fully automated repetitive
install install dependent only on the first DVD of a release [e.g. "When you
get to partitioning, create a Linux partition on /dev/sda1 ( *_about 1.5 to
4GB_* depending on which media you want to use as installation media)..."
{EMPHASIS added}].

I will, initially, be doing only manual installs using preseeding to avoid
entering fixed data - keyboard, time zone, user name/password, no networking
etc.

Can I simply copy all 8 DVD's to the root of my supervising Debian install?
After an install will I be able to do apt-get to access the DVD content now
residing on the hard drive?
Am I missing something?
Are there other routes to my goals I should investigate?

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/BabelBox says,
For questions about babelbox, contact the debian-boot mailing list.

I had seen that.
I debated whether I was more a "user" than a potential "tester".
It appeared obvious that BabelBox was not meant to fill my needs although there are some common features. As my subject line indicates I was using it as a point of comparison.

Considering my last two questions

Am I missing something?
Are there other routes to my goals I should investigate?

to be primary, I chose this list.

I'll post also to the debian-boot mailing list.

I think you will only be able to access one .iso image.
If you want a repository, I think you will have to create one,&  I
don't think you will just be able to access multiple dvd's.

I also think the installation will just be the standard desktop.

You have an interesting concept with what you are planning, but I
don't think it will be at all easy to accomplish, but I wish you luck.

I've never been noted for doing things the "easy way".