Re: Strange network activity after updates

Sorry first reply went to his email address -

On 03/08/12 01:56 PM, Paul Zimmerman wrote:
Today I downloaded a large group of updates, including Open Office and some dns-related utilities. Once they were applied,
> some strange network activity started on my machine. It keeps sending > and receiving about 10-14k per second but I cannot find any programs > that would be
> doing anything on the network. Trying to figure out what is going on,
I installed iftop and it says there is a constant connection to 239.255.255.250 and various transient connections to sites like vc-in-f106-1e100.net --
which turns out to be owned by Google --
and other sites like something called activeminds.net.

Activeminds.net is actually activeminds.de....an ISP in Germany

I know the constant connection is a multicast address, but what is this other stuff? It looks like something is broken/misconfigured or an outright hack of the Debian repository has occurred and many Debian systems are now part of a botnet.

Certainly hope not

My Debian box is staying offline until I find out what is going on.

--
Cheers
Frank