Re: GNU find: "print0" and "-type" arguments

Am Freitag, 3. August 2012 schrieb Bob Proulx:
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > martin@merkaba:~/Zeit/find-Test> find \( -type d -print \) -o \(
> > -name "file" -printf  "%s %p" \) -o \( -name "anotherfile" -print0
> > \) .
> > ./anotherfile./dir
> > 0 ./file%
> > martin@merkaba:~/Zeit/find-Test>
>
> It is inconsistent to mix -print0 with -print and -printf.  Just use
> one or the other consistently.

Well I wanted to know which action find uses in each case, had I used -
print in all the case, I could not tell a difference.

> > Which is the same as without braces:
> >
> > martin@merkaba:~/Zeit/find-Test> find -type d -print -o -name "file"
> > -printf "%s %p" -o -name "anotherfile" -print0 .
> > ./anotherfile./dir
> > 0 ./file%
>
> Yes.
>
> > Now I am wondering about the order.
> >
> > Why does find print "another file" before ".dir" and "file" after
> > "another file"?
>
> You seem to be missing the basic operation of find.  The find program
> iterates across ever file and processes arguments from left to right
> for that file.  As long as the action returns true then find continues
> to process arguments from left to right.  If any argument returns
> false then processing stops for that file.  Find then proceeds to the
> next file and restarts processing arguments for the next file from
> left to right.

Yes, my understanding was find would be doing one run for each action,
"file« and print it and so on, but then it needed to scan the directory
three times instead of just once.

>   find -type d -print -o -name "file" -printf "%s %p" -o -name
> "anotherfile" -print0
>
> For every file find processes it walks across the argument list.  For
> your example arguments it is something like this:
>
>   for each file do
>     if type d then
>       print
>     else
>       if name "file" then
>         printf "%s %p"
>       else
>         if name "anotherfile" then
>           print0
>         end
>       end
>     end
>   end
>
> Also 'find' walks through the directory in the order of the entries in
> the list.  It doesn't sort the entries first.  This means that they
> are in an arbitrary order.  They might appear in any order but the
> order will be repeatable for that particular directory.

Your explaination perfectly makes sense.

So I teach people this stuff and upto now didn´t think deeply about the
exact order. I knew that the action follows the search criteria, but I
never thought about the case with mutiple actions on one line.

So another interesting use case:

martin@merkaba:~/Zeit/find-Test> find -printf "%s %p\n" -print -exec ls -
ld {} \; -delete
0 ./anotherfile
./anotherfile
-rw-r--r-- 1 martin martin 0 Aug  2 19:57 ./anotherfile
4096 ./dir
./dir
drwxr-xr-x 2 martin martin 4096 Aug  2 19:56 ./dir
0 ./file
./file
-rw-r--r-- 1 martin martin 0 Aug  2 19:56 ./file
4096 .
.
drwxr-xr-x 2 martin martin 4096 Aug  3 15:27 .

martin@merkaba:~/Zeit/find-Test> find
.
martin@merkaba:~/Zeit/find-Test>

So find execute all four actions for each search result and all the
results are gone then.

Nice ;)

All results except for the current directory »find-Test«, which the -
delete option didn´t touch. The manpage is not clear. It writes about
deleting files, but it »-delete« also removes empty directories. And it
leaves the current directory alone although it is in the search results.

Thanks,