Re: Debian multimedia repository

On 01/08/12 11:52 PM, Yaro Kasear wrote:
On 08/01/2012 02:55 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Mi, 01 aug 12, 22:30:52, Teemu Likonen wrote:
Titanus Eramius [2012-08-01 21:18:03 +0200] wrote:

My 2 cents on this is, that once packages is installed from Debian
Multimedia it's very hard to go back to stable. But if one keeps using
Debian Multimedia there are rarely any problems.
Now I got curious because that sound so general. What makes it very
hard? In my experience installing and removing packages has always been
easy in Debian.
The versioning scheme of Deb Multimedia packages is meant to take
priority over the Debian proper packages, but this can create problems
under certain circumstances.

Kind regards,
Andrei

I haven't been using Debian as long as many on this list. Are failures with Debian-Multimedia that overtly common or are they rather circumstantial?

It's not failures so much as conflicts. Certain Debian packages will not upgrade because the requisite libraries have been replaced by Debian-multimedia ones.

It's a shame because there are some very nice tools in Debian-multimedia that I'd love to be able to use but not at the expense of core Debian packages.