Re: GNU find: "print0" and "-type" arguments

On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 07:33:35PM -0500, Alex Robbins wrote:
> .
> ./dir
> This is the expected output.  However, when I execute:
> find -print0 -type d
> I see (on a terminal screen that does not display null characters):
> ../dir./file
>
> The same goes for using "-type f".  It appears as though find
> ignores the -type argument when the -print0 option is passed.  Isn't
> this a bug?

No. If you refer to the man page, it will reveal that -print0 actually
outputs null characters instead of newlines. It is usually useful in
conjunction with the -0 option for xargs to run commands on each file
or directory found by find. Please read the man pages and they have
nice examples at the bottom.

Kumar
--
Absolutely nothing should be concluded from these figures except that
no conclusion can be drawn from them.