Re: systemd

On 07/29/2012 03:27 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sun, 2012-07-29 at 16:09 -0400, Tom H wrote:
On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sun, 2012-07-29 at 14:05 -0400, Tom H wrote:

/media/mount_point

switched to

/run/media/user_name/mount_point
It's not an Arch change. It's an upstream change; I've forgotten which upstream.
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/pre-release-beta/473837-opensuse-factory-warning-announce-upcoming-changes-upstreamsystemd-regarding-media-tmp-var-run-var-lock.html

FWIW I'm not using systemd on any of my Linux, but Arch already made
several other changes for the file system hierarchy.

My experience with systemd hasn't been the greatest. It seems like for it to be useful without a lot of trouble a distribution has to already make it the primary init replacement so that all the init scripts (Or modules or whatever systemd calls them.) will be produced for them, meaning I could often not even get things like kdm/slim running on runlevel 5. On Arch when I tried it, it also seemed to completely ignore my fstab and not mount my /home.

I have not tried it on Debian. But on Arch and Gentoo I had too much trouble for it to be worth it.

As for Arch's changes to the hierarchy, I can't remember, but they weren't very FHS-compliant changes, which also disturbed me, since the FHS has a lot of sane practice to it.