Re: gnome doesn't know monitor size under nvidia x server

On 07/28/2012 02:41 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
On 28/07/12 03:24 PM, Britton Kerin wrote:
I installed all the nvidia driver kernel xserver packages, but now
it seems that gnome doesn't know what size the monitor is anymore
(all fonts way too large etc.)

System->Preferences->Monitors looks like the attached screenshot
The odd thing is the explicitly set resolution value is correct. But there
is also all the stuff about the monitor being unknown.

Any help or advice how to fix this greatly appreciated,
Britton
Had the same problem myself with an ATI card. X uses kernel mode switching these days, or at least tries to, and that usually means loading a kernel module for your video card in addition to having the correct xserver drivers.

Since the official (And proprietary.) nVidia driver has no support for KMS, this sort of feature never "natively" works in a desktop environments' own monitor settings. My recommendation is to install nVidia's settings utility and use that, since it WILL accurately report both monitors and their resolution.