Re: wifi working again. Is this a network manager bug?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 13:48:54 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:23:34 +0200, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

>> I don't know the machine you are using, but does it have a hardware
>> button or touch 'thing' to enable/disable wifi? My HP laptop has a sort
>> of hardware touch control, and disabling wifi with network manager
>> (which I guess is what you did) also turns the wifi card off so that I
>> have to first use such hardware control.
>>

> So temporarily disabling wifi with the network manager tells something
> in the boot process that the wifi device is to be considered
> nonexistent?

Yes. Fos instance, if you toggle off the wifi switch (it can be a
dedicated button or a combo key) it will effectively disable the wireless
adapter meaning N-M will not try to connect/detect from any wifi signal
source.

> Presumably that's something at BIOS level.  Anyway, I
> managed to reboot into the BIOS menu, and found that WLAN was indeed
> disabled.  I enabled it, and wifi is back.

Maybe your notebook has special BIOS whose values can be altered from
windows software or even when you press the keys/swiches :-?

> Is it reasonable to consider it a bug that the network manager
> completely disables the wifi to the extent that the device appears not
> to exist on subsequent reboots, and that the network manager no longer
> has the menu item so it can't restore it?

I get the same behaviour when I toggle off the wifi button: N-M remains
with an "x" and off.

> Or is the hardware such that the network manager couldn't restore it
> after a reboot no matter how hard it tried?  That seems far-fetched, but
> possible.

You should be able to re-engage the wireless adapter by just pressing the
wifi button withou needing to jump to the BIOS. What does "rfkill" says?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón