Re: What does this mean?

On 20120722_132033, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 11:58:52 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> > I'm running a computer box that is recently purchased second hand - new
> > to me, but not new.  While running a script that does a disk to disk
> > copy with some reformatting on a file of a few GB, I got this burst of
> > lines on all open gnome-terminal windows:
> >
> > #### start of cut and paste:
> > Message from syslogd@gq at Jul 21 04:40:03 ...
> >  kernel:[233576.618678] Oops: 0002 [#1] SMP
>
> (...)
>
> > Message from syslogd@gq at Jul 21 04:40:03 ...
> >  kernel:[233576.618994] EIP: [<f7de2458>]
> >  jbd2_journal_grab_journal_head+0xf/0x36 [jbd2] SS:ESP 0068:f6e83d38
>
> (...)
>
> You got a kernel oops, and Google suggests as a possible source of the
> error a bad memory RAM stick (long mode). Being a second hand computer
> you better run a memtest and run a pile of system stress tests to check
> the computer components health (mainly micro, memory and hard disks).
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

I'm trying to learn. When I try to repeat your Googling the only hits
that I get are links to *my*own* query on this list. (Not much help,
Google. Yes I know the question.) Give me some more information on
what query string gave you the RAM stick (long mode) answer. You've
given me a fish. Thankyou. But I'd like to learn how to fish.

Memory test and other component tests:

Do you have any suggestions as to what I might download.

I have already downloaded Knoppix v7.0.1, per Chris' suggestion, but
have not yet found out what to do with it. Does it have memory,
component test software on it?

Actually, I've already learned something really significant to me:
Back when I hit Enter to send my original post, I didn't know for sure
that these lines were actually significant. An alternative explanation
that I had in mind was that the kernel issued messages like these
frequently but Gnome, or some other high level thing, trapped them and
sent them to /dev/null. It is really nice to know that two significant
people here take the content of these messages seriously.

I bought the computer from a computer recycling business. They know
about Windows, but not so much about Linux. I'd like to take some
information to them about the nature of the problem, AND I'd like to
be prepared to test whatever 'fix' we (the business, and I) agree to
try. I saw this computer run Windows XP, before I took out the
XP-holding disk and put in my own HD as the first step in installing
Linux

Thanks.
--
Paul E Condon