Re: Need suggestions on a backup issue SOLVED: mountpoint

On 20120720_122714, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 09:50:53AM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> >
> > Debian already provides an email facility that allows cron scripts to
> > email me with error messages. I need a way to test in Bash whether, or
> > not, there actually is a disk mounted at /media/wdp8.
> >
> > What test can I code in Bash to determine that there is no disk
> > mounted at this mount point? I'm thinking of testing for the
> > presence of the file lost+found, but is there something better?
> >
> Rather than looking for lost+found (which could be any disk), I'd look
> for an identification file that you put on that disk.  For instance,
> /media/wdp8/.backupdrive1
>
> I guess you could also grep /etc/mtab for /media/wdp8, but I'm not sure
> if that's 100% reliable.
>
> -Rob

The main message is in the Subject:

Your suggestion of .backupdrive1 solves the problem of identity of the
disk which I agree is important and which I had already solved in a
way that I didn't mention: wdp8 is the LABEL of the partition to be
mounted. Giving the partition a LABEL allows some magic in Gnome, or
in the system but invoked by Gnome, to mount the disk automatically.
I like this, but after about a year of operation, once, about 5d ago,
the disk was plugged in but not mounted.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net