Re: ssh problem (possible disk full)

lina wrote:
> When I tried to ssh, it's chocked without warning:
>
> $ ssh badapple -v

Unfortunately -v on the client side rarely returns the critically
useful information to know what is happening.  It is -v on the sshd
side that is more interesting.  But of course it is hard to set up an
'sshd -v' on the remote side if you can't log in to do it.  A catch-22
situation.

> It's just chocked there for so long, so I quit,

I sometimes find errors with interactive logins that don't affect
non-interactive logins.  For example there can be problems with PAM,
problems with .profile, problems with .bashrc.  But non-interactive
logins avoid all of those.  Therefore I would try one and see if it
has more success.  Just run any batch command that is simple and can't
fail.

  $ ssh badapple hostname

It is possible that will work even when an interactive login that sets
up a tty and other things might not.  If so then that is useful and
you can actually use that to repair a broken connection.

> yesterday I run something, after hours, it's supposed to generate more
> than 300GB data, I did a rough estimation that the disk was going to
> be full, but still seems wouldn't cross the line, possibly on the
> edge.

I have seen problems with interactive logins when the disk is full.

Try this:

  $ ssh badapple df -lh

> Later I tried to mount the remote server into my local, so I can
> delete some files (hopefully).
>
> $ sshfs badapple:/home/lina pinkapple
>
> no reaction, so

It is possible that the remote host has become broken to the point
that it will need a reboot to resolve problems with it.  But it would
be good to debug it further before resorting to that option.

Bob