Re: Debian backup

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 03:09:40PM +0430, Mostafa Hashemi wrote:
>    hi guys
>    hope u all be OK :D
>    i want to take a backup from my Debian, or it is better to say take a dump
>    (like FreeBSD). what should i do ? i am new to Debian ....

It depends. Dump makes an image of a file system. While this is a
belt-and-braces approach (i.e. you can be certain that file metadata,
extended attributes, deleted files etc are backed up), it's often viewed
as inefficient. What if, for example, you want to use the back up to
migrate to a different file system. What if you want a more
space-efficient backup (do you REALLY need to dump those hundreds of
gigabytes of empty space?).

>    i checked out luckybackup , but it just copies files (backs them up) ....

A file-based backup is generally preferred. I can't speak for
luckybackup, but a good file-based backup system should back up all your
files. It should also handle xattrs, acls etc if those are important to
you.

In theory, the files are all you really need for a backup. To restore
for bare metal, you would partition the disks as appropriate, restore
the latest backup, re-install the bootloader (as the MBR is typically
not included in a file-based backup) and reboot.