Re: Loadlin and Squeeze kernel 2.6.32

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 16:14:47 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:

> ***
> Write Generic Boot Code to MBR
> Replaces the current MBR with generic, operating system independent code.
> ***
>
> Why this option? I can't tell and I don't know (because I have not directly
> tested) if there's any difference between choosing this and installing no
> bootloader at all. To be sincere, I don't know if by selecting no bootloader
> you can boot at all, I mean, directly from your hard disk with no other helpers
> :-?

Perhaps you (and others) may find my LILO web page helpful in this regard.

   http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/lilo.htm

Although it is LILO-specific and Debian-specific, there is nonetheless some
discussion about the boot process in general which may shed some light
on this subject.

HTH

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell