Re: Why compiling.

Hallo Andrei,

Am Dienstag, 10. Juli 2012 schrieb Andrei POPESCU:
> On Ma, 10 iul 12, 15:08:52, Celejar wrote:
> > And why do I care whether the kernel I compile locally for a
> > specific machine is portable?
>
> Imagine a situation where due to whatever reason the kernel image of
> your router machine gets corrupted, then you can just copy the file
> from another machine ;)

Nothing prevents you from having an own and distro kernel installed side
by side as long as you do not use the official version appendices. I usually
have:

martin@merkaba:~> ls -1 /boot/vmlinuz-3.*
/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-3-amd64
/boot/vmlinuz-3.4-trunk-amd64
/boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-rc4-tp520
/boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-rc5-tp520
/boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-rc6-tp520+

Pick yourself which are the distro ones ;).

I always have two kernel versions installed, should one break during an
upgrade.

That aside: The kernel of my ASUS WL-500g Premium is certainly not a
Debian distro standard one which might not even fit into that 8 MB of
internal flash. Its not a self compiled one either cause I didn´t yet
manage to get one build but I trusted a developer who compiled one for the
machine (Debwrt).

For that machine I am not aware of any Debian kernel which would work out
of the box and is also in main Debian repositories.

Ciao,