Re: "drive already mounted or busy" ... dmsetup routine

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 23:09:59 -0700, John Magolske wrote:

> I've been having issues with a particular hard drive, where after a
> suspend-resume cycle with s2ram, it won't mount:
>
>     # mount /dev/sdb1 /media
>     mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /media busy
>     # umount /media
>     umount: /media: not mounted

I wouldn't use "/media" as mount point but an isolate mount point and
better yet "static" if the hard drive is to be used every day.

> So I end up doing the following routine:
>
>     # dmsetup ls
>
> (observe the device uuid's and input those to the remove below)
>
>     # dmsetup remove
>     *********************************************************-part1 #
>     dmsetup remove
>     *********************************************************
>
> After this I can mount/umount multiple times no problem. But after every
> suspend-resume cycle I have to do that dmsetup routine again.

Is the hard drive partition being used/recognized as as device mapper
volume? :-?

> Could this be a hard-drive hardware issue? Or maybe something is
> mis-configured? Seems to have started after a dist-upgrade a while back.
> I'm able to mount other flash-drives fine without the dmsetup routine.

These errors are commom when resuming from suspension or even
hibernation. What you can do is unmounting the USB devices before
entering into suspension mode and mount them again after system comes to
life.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón