Re: Alternative(s) to VirtualBox

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 5:48 AM, Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com> wrote:

> By the way, it is not necessary to copy me on responses. I read the mailing
> list and have for (argh!) two decades.

I am guessing this is default setting in this mailing list.

The "original sender" is auto filled when I click on the "Reply" link.
 Whereas in Reply-All the To field is the "original sender" and the Cc
field is this mailing list.  I am using chrome web browser to read
mail.

On the topic, nice discussion going on, I have picked up a couple of
tips re usage of KVM.

I have not done any KVM on Debian but have a setup of a few machines
under virt-manager on Ubuntu 12.04 server edition.    In that box I
have created a sudo rule for  a group of  users so that members can
manage VMs from virt-manager (and all it's associated lower level
tools).   It is working out great!

Here is my  /etc/sudoers.d/kvm file:

<file listing>

# User alias specification
User_Alias VIRT_USERS = user1, user2, user3

# Cmnd alias specification
Cmnd_Alias VIRT_MGR = /usr/bin/kvm, /usr/bin/kvm-img,
/usr/bin/kvm-nbd, /usr/bin/kvm_stat, /usr/bin/qemu-ga,
/usr/bin/qemu-ifdown, /usr/bin/qemu-ifup, /usr/bin/qemu-img,
/usr/bin/qemu-io, /usr/bin/qemu-nbd, /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64,
/usr/bin/qemu-x86_64, /sbin/brctl, /usr/sbin/tunctl,
/usr/bin/virt-clone, /usr/bin/virt-convert, /usr/bin/virt-image,
/usr/bin/virt-install, /usr/bin/virt-manager,
/usr/bin/virt-pki-validate, /usr/bin/virt-xml-validate

# host alias specification
Host_Alias NETWORK = 172.16.0.0/255.255.255.0

# now define the virt manager and kvm command to users
VIRT_USERS NETWORK = VIRT_MGR

</file listing>

Keep in mind the above list is for the tool set in Ubuntu.   The names
may be different in Debian.

HTH,
--
Arun Khan
"As a layman, I would say we have it, but as a scientist I have to