Re: Filezilla a security risk

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 18:51:59 +0200, Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> 08.07.2012 17:14, Camaleón:
>
>> On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 16:41:43 +0200, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>>
>>> 08.07.2012 13:59, Camaleón:

>>> smtps was defined as 465/tcp. 587/tcp is message submission which does
>>> not provide encryption on the transport layer.
>>
>> They are used for the same purpose (secure smtp) but the former is now
>> depretacted.
>
> For some definition of "purpose", maybe [1] Stating that 587/tcp was
> smtps is simply wrong, because it implies encryption on the network
> layer.

When you replace a standard with another it would be fair to say that
both share the same essence and they are aimed to solve the same problem.

Moreover, the fact it can also use encryption is what makes it
interesting because for non-encrypted communication there's already smtp
(tcp/25) so the new standard (RFC 6409) can be seen as the succesor of
the old smtps.

>> What I did not know is that the new standard can be used with or
>> without security (starttls) in the same port.
>
> Which makes "the new standard" something very different.

To my eyes, not that different in the end.

> [1] For example: MUAs should connect to this port to send outgoing mail.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón