Re: cannot upgrade or remove multipath-tools

* Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> [120704 10:51]:
> On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 23:31:40 -0700, John Magolske wrote:
> > In doing `aptitude ugrade`, multipath-tools is to be upgraded, but I
> > keep getting the following message:
> >
> > % sudo aptitude install multipath-tools [...]
> > Preparing to replace multipath-tools 0.4.9+git0.4dfdaf2b-4 (using
> > .../multipath-tools_0.4.9+git0.4dfdaf2b-6_i386.deb) ... Device does not
> > exist.
> > Command failed
> > invoke-rc.d: initscript multipath-tools, action "stop" failed.
>
> Could it be because of this?

Yes, I was looking at that last night after emailing the list:

    If a user's setup is direct access to scsi device, be it either sd
    naming scheme or persistent names, it appears that no entry for it
    is created in /sys/block sysfs hierarchy.

    In this scenario, the multipath-tools' stop target fails thusly
    breaking all upgrades.

    Current resolution is to run the init script to survive errors,
    i.e. "!sh -e"

I tried what I think is being suggested here, changing the first
line of /etc/init.d/multipath-tools to "#!/bin/sh -e", but still get
"...package failed to install" when trying to upgrade multipath-tools,
and this when running "multipath-tools stop" manually:

    # /etc/init.d/multipath-tools stop
    Device does not exist.
    Command failed

I did notice however this morning that `aptitude upgrade` does not try
to upgrade multipath-tools. A dist-upgrade does still want to upgrade
this package -- as did a regular upgrade as recently as yesterday. But
now for some reason I can do a regular upgrade without the complaining
brought on by multipath-tools.

John

--
John Magolske