Re: aptitude update question

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 12:47:33AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> One thing I read as the end result of some update operations is a certain
> number of new.  I take it to mean new packages if I'm correct.  What I'd
> like to know is if any utility exists that can tell me the names of the
> new packages.  If I can get that much information, I can probably use
> apt-cache to read the package descriptions for the new packages.

One way to find this out is to start aptitude in it's Curses-UI mode
(just run aptitude with no arguments). You will be shown a window with
two panes, top and bottom. In the top pane, the bar-cursor is in a tree
structure. The first branch of that tree probably reads "New Packages
(nnn)". Press return and the tree will expand that branch to show some
categories (admin, database, devel etc). Move down onto one of these and
press return again; you'll get a list of components (main, contrib,
non-free, etc). Open one of these and you'll see the list of packages in
that component for that category. Repeat as desired.

Alternatively, simply enter "aptitude search '?new'" at a prompt. :)