Re: minimal HTTP server recommends

On 7/3/2012 10:10 PM, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just noticed that the thttpd package that I'm using has been removed from
> Debian repo early this year.
>
> It suits my personal web server well, because "It has an executable
> memory size of about 50 kB. . . it is uniquely suited to service high
> volume requests for static data" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thttpd)
>
> Now that it's gone, please recommend another minimal HTTP server with
> similar goal as above.

Hi Tong,

Lighttpd was designed from the ground up for such static file serving.
As the name implies it is a lightweight httpd server.  Today Lighty also
supports CGI and has many other advanced features that the original
release did not, but it hasn't sacrificed speed, nor become bloated.

I just checked one of my systems and top reports the running code size
of Lighttpd 1.4.28-2+squeeze1 is 164KB.  Not quite as small as what you
claim for thttpd, but the code size of an httpd process is but a tiny
fraction of process' memory footprint.  In my case RES is currently 2112KB.

--
Stan