Re: [1/2 OT] How to find the desktop near me?

> Hi,
>
> The desktop installed the Sid (seems not so relevant here.)  Now the
> monitor/screen not work; other things are totally fine.
>
> I used to login desktop first and then ssh from laptop,
>
> Now since not be able to log in, how can I find its ip ? so I can
> connect from laptop.
> or
> shall I just find other monitor and connect?

  If it's on the same subnet as your laptop, you may be able to
find it via the laptop's ARP cache -- this is the mechanism the
kernel uses to map controller MAC addresses to IP addresses.

  Alternatively, if it's gotten a DHCP assignment from your
home router, you can probably go in to the router's set-up
interface, and find the table of DHCP assignments it has handed
out, and see if there's one you don't recognize.

  If all that fails, if it's a small address space (like 192.168.1.*),
it s a simple matter to just ping every address in the space and see
if there's a live one you didn't know about.  If the machine doesn't
answer ping requests, a more complicated way would be to run a
port-scanner from the laptop, and see what it finds.

                                    -- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net