Re: why ABIWORD?

On 06/30/2012 05:58 AM, Joe wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 11:16:04 +0200
Francesco Pietra<chiendarret@gmail.com>  wrote:

/snip/

If someone demands a Word document, I would normally send an RTF file,
which is somewhat more predictable and will open in any Word, and even
then I'd use quite large margins. I do actually have a full Office 2007
on Windows 7, but there has to be money involved before I'll use it. I
hate Word more than possibly any other piece of MS software, except
perhaps Edlin (which is still part of Windows 7).

A friend used to send me files saved in .rtf from a MacIntosh, and
a good fraction of those gave me fits, no matter what I tried to
open them with.  The problem was that the entire body of text
would overflow the right-hand side of the page, losing some of it.
Sometimes it would not open correctly in OO or LO, but open OK in
WordPerfect, sometimes not.
Since I have all three OO-type programs--OO, LO, and
Symphony on the Linux machine, and WP on the Windows machine,
most of the time I could open the file, but there were a few times
not at all.  Now I have him send the files in MS .doc for Mac, probably
a version from the early 2000s, since he doesn't have the latest
Intel Mac, and Symphony will open these without a problem.
(Probably the other two OO-types would also.)
I save files that I have edited in .doc format from Symphony, and
his Mac reads them fine.
I gave up on AbiWord. It wouldn't open those files either, and it has
some other problems that I couldn't live with--I forget what.

Symphony is not in my repos, but is downloadable in various
formats for Linux and, I think, Windows.  It has some gotchas also,
but it mostly looks and acts "finished" which LO and OO do not.

--doug