Re: [1/2 OT] How to find the desktop near me?

2012-06-30 18:16, lina skrev:
Hi,

The desktop installed the Sid (seems not so relevant here.)  Now the
monitor/screen not work; other things are totally fine.

I used to login desktop first and then ssh from laptop,

Now since not be able to log in, how can I find its ip ? so I can
connect from laptop.
or
shall I just find other monitor and connect?

That seems to be the simplest solution, if you have a working monitor.

So you have a working computer, but without monitor, and you want to know its IP-address? I assume your laptop is connected to the same router as the monitorless computer.

I would have two suggestions.

1) Log into the router, and see what IP-addresses have been given out recently, and try connecting to them.

2) Install zenmap on the laptop, find the IP-address range the router uses (mine uses 10.0.1.*, most I have used use 192.168.0.* or 192.168.1.*). Run a quick scan with zenmap on that range of IP-addresses, and see which ones have an ssh-port open.

Then try to connect to those.

Regards

Johan