Re: Bridging eth0/br0 & NetworkManager - can they coexist?

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:19:27 +0100, Steve Dowe wrote:

> On 29/06/12 16:54, Camaleón wrote:
>> Ah, then maybe you don't need a bridge but a virtual addressing layout:
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration#Multiple_IP_addresses_on_One_Interface
>
> But that fixes the IP addresses both to my local network.  The intended
> NM approach was to allow the virtual network interfaces of virtual
> machines the chance to pick up an IP address using DHCP whatever local
> network they're on.

Maybe is time now for you to tell us more about the kind of VM you are
planning to use...

>> (you still need a second interface to create the bridge)
>
> That would seem to conflict with this:
>
> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Networking#public_bridge  (Debian's way)
>
> (notwithstanding it was published some time ago and not by a
> Debian-focused organisation, but still, it's documentation... :)

Ah, okay, are you using KVM? If yes, then better read from here:

http://wiki.debian.org/KVM

>>> ... Network Manager cannot control eth0.  Under "Wired Networks" it
>>> reports "Device not managed".
>>
>> Yes, that's correct.
>
> Hmm. Kinda doesn't fit the use case then :D

:-)

I mean is "correct" becasue is what N-M has been configured for.

>> Why do you want N-M to be in charge of your network? It does not look
>> like a good approach if you are planning to use Debian as a VM host :-?
>
> Because I have a multiplicity of networking requirements on my laptop. I
> need VPN access, easy wireless configuration, and the ability to run
> virtual machines with IP addresses on the local network (wherever I am).

I still don't see the relation of using N-M and the possibility of having
multiple IP addresses :-?

>> My experience tells me that I better do not mix them.
>
> My experience is becoming more like yours in Debian .. but less like
> yours in Fedora (sorry, I said the F-word!).

Well, for this scenario, I wouldn't use N-M regardless the linux distribution,
not just Debian. N-M is aimed for laptops or mobile devices.

>>> I believe harmony is possible between NM and br0 - I'm just unsure of
>>> the approach in Debian.
>>
>> I think you still need to add a second interface to the bridge...
>
> Would this second interface have to physically exist?

For a "true" bridge, I guess yes :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón