Re: / almost full

Judging by your present setup, it looks like you have 8gb ram, half of
it being used as tmpfs; or am I wrong.

As for /tmp & /var, they would be under/on your / partition, as would
/usr. That is why I was suggesting at least 10gb; you appear to be
using about 4gb at present; that should leave enough room for any
further additional applications you install in the future.

Swap is not mandatory. :-)
If you think you will need some, add equal to system ram, but I don't
bother with swap on 2gb ram or more, as my usage of ram is pretty low,
web browsing, movie watching, playing music, etc.

The main reason for having separate / & /home is that I can re install
the system if necessary, without having to re install all my personal
files.
(Of course, I still have backups.) :-)