Re: Debian 5.0: Capturing audio from a web page?

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 13:11 +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:
> You can probably see what sound systems you have by playing a wav file
> through "play" (OSS), "aplay" (ALSA), "artsplay" (aRts), "esdplay"
> (ESounD) and "paplay" (Pulse). If any commands don't exist, or don't
> play the wav, then you're not using that system.

Thank you that you didn't mention jackd ;), 'cause jackd is professional
and easy to use, while all the other sound servers are consumer crap and
you need to read tons of manuals to use them ... many people experience
stuff like pulseaudio as not working with their sound devices, so they
drop Linux and use Windoof instead. I'm not talking about the pro-audio
Linux users, our cards don't work with pulseaudio, but we know what to
do. Pulseaudio is one of Linux serious issues, that cause that folks who
are Windoof users, testing Linux, will drop Linux forever and instead
they'll follow Windoof.

> I would suggest using OSS (play, record etc). IIRC, Debian 5.0 would
> have been around the time that ALSA was supplanting OSS, so either
> you're still using OSS or you'll have ALSA with OSS compatibility
> enabled.

For Lenny OSS already should be obsolete. The backend always should be
ALSA and not OSS. And please use ALSA directly or jackd only. Btw. Jack2
seems to be more reliable on some machines.

- Ralf