Re: Debian 5.0: Capturing audio from a web page?

On 25/06/12 08:11 AM, Darac Marjal wrote:
On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 01:28:37PM -0400, Randy Kramer wrote:
I'm (still) using Debian 5.0 (Lenny, iirc).

I want to capture some audio from a web page.

Is there an application typically installed in Debian 5.0 that will help me do
that.  (krec does not seem to work--maybe Debian is using ALSA rather than
aRts?)

OTOH, I started to try to use ffmpeg, but the instructions I was following say
I need a version of ffmpeg compiled with ALSA support, and the version of
ffmpeg that is installed does not have ALSA support.

Can somebody point me in the right (simple) direction?
I think I would start by looking at how the web page is playing the
audio. If it's a simple background audio file (e.g. an<embed>  or
<object>  tag), then you should be able to simply fetch the file
yourself.

If, however, the audio is being streamed by a flash/java/silverlight/etc
player, then you will need to look deeper.

Even answering (or telling me how to answer) some simple questions, like:
    * is my system using aRts or ALSA?
Conceivably, it could be using both. ALSA is the set of sound drivers
that the kernel uses to talk to your sound card; aRts, esd and nowadays
pulse are all audio managers that sit on top of OSS or ALSA.

You can probably see what sound systems you have by playing a wav file
through "play" (OSS), "aplay" (ALSA), "artsplay" (aRts), "esdplay"
(ESounD) and "paplay" (Pulse). If any commands don't exist, or don't
play the wav, then you're not using that system.

    * is my system using gstreamer or pulseaudio?
    * is there a precompiled (binary) version of ffmpeg for Debian 5.0 with
ALSA support compiled in?
I would suggest using OSS (play, record etc). IIRC, Debian 5.0 would
have been around the time that ALSA was supplanting OSS, so either
you're still using OSS or you'll have ALSA with OSS compatibility
enabled.

    * ???

Thanks!
Randy Kramer