Re: Unmet dependencies installing eclipse from testing on a stable system

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 19:36:30 +0300, Vilius Panevėžys wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:23:52 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:48:13 +0300, Vilius Panevėžys wrote:
>>
>> > I need eclipse >= 3.7 to use plug-ins that refuse to work with the
>> > eclipse version available in squeeze. So, I'd be happy with the
>> > version from testing.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Have you considered in getting the upstream package instead¹? Being a
>> java based application should be easy to install :-?
>>
>> ¹http://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_Where_do_I_get_and_install_Eclipse%3F
>>

> Yes, I'll do that as a fallback, but installing packages the manual way
> looses all the advantages of the package management system.

That can be if you stick to the stable repo but using a testing package
can even break not only you Eclipse installation (remember that testing
packages update very often...) but badly messing up with system packages/
libraries because of dependencies. I mean, just be very cautius with the
repository priorities when feeding from both sources.

> Let's say that's an exercise to learn how to use apt along the way,
> though I actually need the newer version.

Sure! :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón