Re: Re (2): Dying Iceweasel.

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 14:17:20 -0800, peasthope wrote:

> *	From: Camale&#xF3;n <noelamac@gmail.com>
                    ^^^^^^

It seems you Oberon Mail does not like accented characters (or just is
that listened to what I said about Oberon in the other message and now is
reacting against me ;-P)

>> Are you _still_ running 3.5.x? :-O
>> Instructions for using those repos are detailed here:
>>
>> http://mozilla.debian.net/
>
> For iceweasel, that page gives 5 choices, 3.5, esr, release, beta,
> aurora. I chose aurora and adjusted /etc/sources.list accordingly.

"3.5" is now deprecated/unssupported, should not be used.
"esr" must point to te enterprise Mozilla versions (extended support¹)
"release" should point to the usual Mozilla release
"beta" is for Mozilla beta
"aurora" is for Mozilla aurora channel (it breaks more often than beta)

Beta and aurora are testing versions. Are you sue you want to use any of
those in your Squeeze?

> Using apt-get according to the wiki page yields an iceweasel 10 rather
> than 12 or 13.
>
> peter@dalton:~$ dpkg -l iceweasel | grep ice ii  iceweasel
> 10.0.5esr-1~bpo60+1  Web browser based on Firefox

As I already pointed, esr is for the enterprise version which is now at
10.x so that should be fine. Are you sure you selected the right version?

> Henceforth, if interactive aptitude is used for security updates, it
> will remove several packages which must replaced afterwards. Anyone care
> to mention a clever procedure for security updates?

There shouldn't be any conflicts between the security updates when using
the backports repository... can you please send the output of what you
get when using aptitude interactively? :-?

¹http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Firefox#Extended_Support_Release

Greetings,

--
Camaleón