Apertium error... seeking English <-> Español translation tool

Hi,

I'd like to use the Apertium translation tool [1], which can translate
English <-> Español (and other languages too, but that's the pair I'm
most interested in atm) ... but it doesn't seem to work:

    % echo "hello world" | apertium en-es
    Error: Unknown error matching regexp (code -28)
    hola

    % echo "world" | apertium en-es
    Error: Unknown error matching regexp (code -28)

Seems this is related to some long-standing bugs [2]. There's an
"Installing apertium on Debian" page [3], but it makes no mention of
the above error. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a way to
get apertium working, or if there might be another translation tool I
could install that would do the job. This is on Debian Sid.

[1] http://xixona.dlsi.ua.es/apertium-www/
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=apertium
[3] http://apertium.sourceforge.net/install-debian.html

Thanks for any help,