Re: netinst on old dell hardware

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:56:00 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

(...)

> The Squeeze netinstall CD that I have used for several previous installs
> on other hardware won't work on this hardware. It doesn't initialize the
> flat screen display properly. There is a Debian swirl but response to
> keyboard commands which should be screen displays on which I type
> answers, or menus from which I can select options are replaced by a
> jibberish of tiny rectangles, mostly empty but some having a single tiny
> letter. This is a real show stopper on installing Squeeze.  The same is
> true for Squeeze bizcard, and Wheezy bizcard.

How about the usual wheezy ISO netinstall or even the first CD? Have you
tried to load a LiveCD and see how it goes? Have you verified the ISO
checksum before and after burning the media?

> But my old Lenny netinstall CD *does*work*. Now I need a repository to
> point it at. I've found archive.kernel.org (I'm in USA). But I'm having
> trouble composing the exact string that I need to type into the screen
> on my new(to me) computer. And, I have never had a good understanding of
> the magic involved in the apt-get system. I know about the option 'enter
> inforation manually' in the menu of countries. But what do I enter
> there?

I wouldn't use Lenny (now unsupported) for a new system but that's
something you have to decide. Anyway, Lenny is now available in the
archives, this is what I use:

deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib

> And in the screen that follows asking for 'Debian archive mirror
> directory:' which is prefilled with a default of '/debian/', should I
> accept /debian/ or replace it? with what?

Leaving the default should be just fine.

> Lastly, there is a question about a proxy. I don't believe I have a
> proxy, but using archive.kernel.org might necessitate one. I hope not.
> Proxy?

Not unless you are behind one and you can provide the required data to
configure it :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón